Thursday, October 9, 2008

I am Norman


"Sidney & Norman, A Tale of Two Pigs" by Phil Vischer (Creator of Veggie Tales)

I was at our bookstore today looking for a book to get for my cousin for her first birthday. I thought it would be neat to start the tradition to get her a book each year with a note written in each one. I came across this book in the kids section and I love it.... sometimes I just need to be reminded.

"The pig on the right was Norman. He was very a very good pig. Rules and hard work came easily to him, and it showed. His house was neat and organized. He always looked his very best. He gave money to the "needy", and never missed church on Sunday. Norman's teachers liked him when he was young, and his boss at work liked him now that he was all grown-up. he was pretty sure God liked him, too. After all, he was a very good pig. Norman figured that everyone could be as good as he was, if they'd just try a little harder. He wondered why they didn't....

Norman received a note reading: "Dear Norman, I would like you to come visit me...I have something to tell you. Sincerely, God."

Norman found the address and walked inside. God walked around the desk and smiled at the puffed-up pig. "I'm glad you could make it, i have a few things to tell you."

"First of all, I love you." Norman smiled, though he wasn't surprised. "Secondly, your goodness is not the reason I love you." Norman startled a little. What a curious thing for God to say. "Thirdly, you're not as good as you have led yourself to believe. You're prideful. you're selfish. You look down on others, simply because things don't come as easily for them." God looked a little sad now. "I love them as much as I love you. Don't look down on those I love." "That is what I needed to tell you"

No comments: